Sam King Windrush Awards
Sam King Windrush Awards shall be given to two girls and two boys up to the age of 14 who can produce an outstanding fictional narrative about the West Indians who travelled on the MV Empire Windrush and arrived at Tilbury Docks on 22 June 1948.
Sponsored by Windrush Foundation, the participant would be expected to submit an essay with between 300 and 400 hand-written words on A4 paper. The objective is to promote literacy, research, expression, creativity, originality, and to celebrate imagination.
Topics could include:
- MV EMPIRE WINDRUSH /
- BEFORE DEPARTING THE WEST INDIES
- THE JOURNEY TO BRITAIN /
- ARRIVAL AT TIBURY DOCKS ON 22 JUNE 1948
- LIFE IN BRITAIN – You should scan the handwritten story and email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The competition is open from 24 March and CLOSES ON 30 April 2023.
Winners will be announced during June 2023.
Terms and Conditions
• The entry must be an imaginary short story.
• It must be an original piece of work written independently by a child up to the age of 14.
• Stories must not be written by more than one person. One entry per child allowed.
• The child must not include their personal details within their story.
• Entries must not include unsuitable or improper material.
• The essay must be between 300 and 400 words.
• Make sure the child’s own words are used.
• Do not submit an entry without proofreading.
• Presentation is important; you should consider the visual appearance of the entry as well as the quality of the content.
• The story must be submitted by the child’s teacher, parent, or guardian
• The work must include a good standard of spelling, grammar, and punctuation, neat presentation, and clear handwriting.
• The age and the child’s school must be shown below the essay.
• In the subject line of the email quote: SAMBKING C HERITAGE